Monday, October 3, 2011

post-grad

At risk of sounding like the cliche college senior, it feels like just yesterday I was moving into my gross freshman dorm, thrilled to be on my own for the first time. Since starting college I've definitely grown into myself, in terms of intellect and personal style. Last week I met with my adviser to fill out my "intent to graduate" forms. I'M GRADUATING?! Seriously though, when did that happen? I couldn't be more thrilled though, to enter the "real world" with a college degree. But wait....what happens next?

In May, I will be graduating with a BA in Textiles, Fashion Merchandising, and Design, with a concentration in Apparel Construction and a minor in Studio Art. It's always so intimidating to be asked, "What are you doing after graduation?". Well to be honest....I don't have a clue yet. My plan was always just to apply for jobs in New York and Los Angeles, and cross my fingers that I get a bite. Now, however, dreams of grad school are swimming around my brain. If I could have changed anything about my college experience, it would have been to study abroad. Though I wasn't able to do so for a long period of time, I did spend two weeks in Europe last winter. After doing so, I fell in LOVE with the city of London. I could absolutely see myself living there, and being successful there, and have since, looked into graduate programs in the UK.

The school that I am most interested in attending is Central Saint Martins, part of the London College of Fashion. The talent that has come out of this school in the past is extraordinary. Designers such as Alexander McQueen, Zac Posen, and Christopher Kane are a few examples of the talent to emerge from this school. I will be applying to the MA Fashion program, in which students develop personal projects in Womenswear or Menswear. Financing a furthering education like this one would be tough, but for now, I'm focusing on developing a portfolio worthy enough to be considered.




How does one even prepare for a move this big? I'm filled to the brim with excitement, nervousness, and questions. What does the future hold? Will I get in? Where am I going to be this time next year?

stay tuned to find out xx

No comments:

Post a Comment