Thursday, November 18, 2010

this and that

My favorite class of the semester has been my apparel design class, as that is ultimately what I’d like to do with my life. I find the class challenging in that the purpose of the class is to be able to translate design ideas through sketching. I prefer illustration and always seem to find myself behind because I take so much time on my sketches.

For my most recent project, I decided to design a line of non-traditional wedding gowns and bridal wear. My design motifs will include romanticism and femininity, using lace, beading, sheer flowy fabrics, draping, and touches of pinks, peach, and muted turquoise. Rather than designing veils for my brides, I decided to design a line of floral headpieces, accented with beading and feathers. (Sketches will be up soon)

This is drastically different than the direction I chose for my first design project of the semester, where I used military uniforms as my inspiration and used a fusion of women’s wear and men’s wear pieces.

AND IN OTHER REALLY EXCITING NEWS: I’m going to Europe this January! I will be spending five days in London and five days in Paris as part of a Fashion Study Tour through my University. While in London, we will visit Prudence, a millinery designer for couture houses, Harvey Nichols Department store, we will participate in a workshop with Zandra Rhodes, Visit Kensington Palace to see Princess Diana's gowns, as well take a walking tour of the city

While in Paris, we will visit the Yves St. Laurent Archives, view the Alain LaLou bridal collection, Musee de la Mode et du Textile (Vionnet exhibit), Louvre Museum, Orsay Museum, Edelkoort fashion forecasting, and take a day trip to Versailles Palace and Grounds.

It will definitely be the trip of a lifetime and an amazing opportunity to meet people in the industry over seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment